Quilting Woes!!!

Oh the woes of a quilter!!!  I almost always start out doing something wrong. But I still love to quilt! Amazing!!

I'm making a wall hanging for a 'challenge' in our quilting guild, and yikes!, it's suppose to be made and quilted by Christmas!! And I've already started it off wrong.

Here is a picture of what it is suppose to look like:
I know that everyone is going to use some kind of prints in darks and lights; maybe prints, maybe batiks, so I wanted to do something different. Different, was my First Mistake!  Well, no, not paying attention to the details of how to put the pattern together!!

I decided to use dots. Dark ones, small to big, and light ones, small to big. That was all well and good. Then I wondered what should I use for the middle square of each log cabin. I didn't want a plain color.  I wanted something whimsical!  I choose a fabric with Sock Monkeys all over it. (I love to fussy-cut!) Now here's where I put my thinking cap on. (Second Mistake!)

I cut out the monkeys,  twelve of them, using up most of that fabric because of having to fussy-cut. I decided I wanted each one up-right in the centers. Good idea.  Then, as I start sewing I have to pay attention to how I'm sewing the logs around it.  All well and good....so far....I thought.

Third Mistake! I start with the first, smallest log, in the wrong color!!!
I should have started with the light color, which would have left the longest outer log a dark color. But I started with the dark color which leaves the longest outer log a light color.

As  you can see on the picture, the two longest dark logs should meet together. This makes a dark Star  with a light background.

Mine don't do that....of course!!
Mine has the two longest white logs sticking in-between those two outer dark logs!!! That breaks the Star.  I have four of these made..wrong!!!  Using up all that much of what I've cut out!!!  Not enough fabric to cut more!!!  I.  Am.  Not.  Going. To.  Rip.  It.  Out......NOPE!!....Won't do it!!!

Here is what one square looks like:

Fourth Mistake!  I didn't move my needle over to one side or the other, so I've sewn them all up with 3/8th inch seams instead of 1/4 inch seams! So instead of an 8 inch finished square it will be...what?...whatever!!

I have two solutions for this  too-far-gone-mistake-to-change.
ONE:  I could turn the squares so that they make a light colored Star with a dark background, and ask the Challenge leader if that qualifies. But...then the monkeys would be all willy-nilly! Which I don't want!

TWO:  If she OK's a light Star, instead of having willy-nilly monkeys, I could 'turn applique' a square of 'something' in the middle... Maybe even pad it... Maybe even sew a round button in the center of the padding....covering up the stupid monkeys!!

So,  any quilters who read this...what do you think?  About my two solutions?
Anyone else who reads this is probably scrunching up there face, going..'what the heck is she talking about?!'......Sorry!......Sometimes it baffles me too!! LOL

Comments

  1. Oh Noes! I'm afraid I'm no help at all, not only have I never quilted, I've been known to use duct tape to patch holes in my pockets.... "Willy-nilly monkeys" sounds like a good solution to me, and a cute one - but then again, I also find duct taped pockets perfectly acceptable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny!! Well I got an answer from the 'leader', and it was just what I thought it would be. LOL "Sorry. Take a break, and start over." LOL

      Delete
    2. Awww... this is where video games have it over real life, you could just reload a save if you were quilting in Skyrim and the pattern went awry ;p

      Delete
  2. Hi!
    I am working for a german publishing house and we will pubish a germanwide campaign about gaming.
    I would love to interview you! I am a gamer myself and would be thrilled to do this interview. Can I sent you some more Informations?
    Please contact me under the email adress: malika.farrahe@mediaplanet.com




    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anything about quilting but love your idea to use the sock monkeys - which are adorable! I'm sorry that it won't work out and that you would have to start over. However, I've seen pictures of other quilts you've made which are absolutely gorgeous and I'm confident that if you decide to start over, your challenge quilt will be equally beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading about your journey following the treasure map!! I can't wait to read more! Greetingsmag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I forget that I have this Blog and my other Blog, and so I forget to write in them! LOL I'll try to do better. :)

      Delete
  5. I think this is absolutely wonderful I love all the stuff you've put here ❤️ and I'll be sure to check even more 😀. Lots of love Mr Odamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mr Odamie! I'm so happy when the ones that come in under Anonymous respectfully attach their name! Thank you!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where Does The Time Go To?!!

Gaming Conventions

The Concrete Jungle Of Life